"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review of Cursed

Cursed!
 
Cursed
Scott Nicholson/ J.R. Rain
Published by the authors 2010
B&N Nook Edition
 
   Albert Shipway is a lush, loves women and tends to fixate on both. An insurance investigator who does not have an exciting job; quickly finds himself with more excitement in his life then any human being could possibly wish upon themselves. After leaving lunch one afternoon, Albert is approached by an old woman who looks like she should have one foot in the grave. She knows way too much information about Al and quickly becomes his worst nightmare.
   Albert is thrust into a game of cat and mouse with killer mice bent on making his nightmares a reality. In steps a beautiful female cop, an estranged wife, a baby, witches, and the walking dead who also happens to be a serial killer that doesn't know he is dead. Shake this all together and you have murder, mayhen, a life-stealing great-granddad and a sister bent on revenge. Oh, yes! Let's not forget Al the lush who can't keep HIS mouse in his pants.
   I have read quite a few of Scott's books at this point in time; but I have to say this has been my favorite so far. I am not familiar with J.R. Rain's work so I have nothing to compare it to. I do see Scott's macbre sense of humor in this book and he does make me laugh. Once I started reading this book, I could not put it down. Al was a little fixated on his booze; but I felt it just showed how much of a crutch it actually was for him. Al's estranged wife was psychotic; but I have to say Al was not particularly stable himself. He had some real issues. Number 1 was his booze; but his fixation on women was a little over the top. Any man that can be chased by hundreds of killer mice and still be looking at a woman's backside has issues. Either that or men are really more perferted then I ever gave them credit for. That ladies and gentlemen is a story for another time.
   This story has a little bit of everything for everyone. It is nightmarish and also funny. If your into witch craft, this is the book for you. If your up for a murder mystery that is strange and macabre, this is for you. Walking dead? It has you covered. If you like the strange and unusual, I don't think you will be disappointed. All in all I found this to be an exceptional read.
   I wish to thank Scott Nicholson for providing me with a copy to read and review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own. I was not compensated in any way except for the privilege of reading and reviewing the book.
 
I give Cursed 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment