"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review of Whispers in the Sand


Whispers in the Sand
Barbara Erskine
Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN 9781402261756

   Recently divorced, Anna is encouraged to take a holiday to get her life back on track. She decides to retrace a Nile cruise her great grandmother, Louisa, took in the mid 1800's. She takes along the diary outlining the original cruise and an Egyptian scent bottle that had been given to Louisa as a gift.
   While reading Louisa's diary, Anna discovers a love story from the past and a  distant secret of the bottle. Two passengers on the cruise show  increasing interest in Anna and her diary and bottle. Are they interested in Anna or are they more interested in the diary and scent bottle? As the story progresses, dark and sinister things begin to happen and Anna becomes involved with far more then she bargained for. The lives of three different eras become intertwined to make up the present.
   This was my first read of Barbara Erskine and it most certainly will not be my last. This book drew me in from the start and I was unable to put it down. The storyline is wonderful and it flows smoothly from the beginning to the end. The interweaving of the present day with the diary and the distant Egyptian past is absolutely incredible. The discriptions of the temples and the Nile are so effective you can see them in your mind without being there. There was quite the mix of characters and they all had a definite place in the story and all were important to the culmination of the events that transpired.  Anyone who enjoys a good story cannot go wrong by reading this one. I highly recommend it.
   I wish to thank Sourcebooks for providing me with a copy to read and review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own. I was not compensated in anyway except for the privilege of reading the book.

I give Whispers in the Sand 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment