"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Review of Gideon's Sword

Gideon's Sword (Gideon Crew #1)

Gideon's Sword
Preston&Child
Grand Central Publishing
Hachette Book Group 2/2011
ISBN 9780446564326

   Preston&Child are about to debut a new action packed series with the protagonist, Gideon Crew. Gideon is a brilliant physicist who is also a great con artist. You see, Gideon Crew is a former art thief. Even though he has left that life behind, there is a part of that person that still exists in Gideon.
   Our story starts off when Gideon was a small boy of twelve and witnesses his father's murder. He grows into a young adult when he is called home to find his mother dying. On her death bed, she tells her son the truth behind his father's death and wants Gideon to seek revenge and clear his father's name.
   The plot thickens when Gideon becomes a private operative. His assignment is to retrieve plans for a weapon of mass destruction from a Chinese scientist who has defected the country. The scientist is murdered and Gideon is taken from New York to Hong Kong and back. His journey eventually leads him to an uninhabited island on Long Island Sound.
   This book is full of action and packed with adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Gideon is a keg of dynamite throughout the story and feels he has nothing to lose. His one major flaw seems to be his soft spot for the ladies. This in itself gets him into more then one unpleasant situation after the other.
   I have read some of Preston&Child's Agent Pendergast series and I believe Gideon Crew will be just as successful and popular. If you love a good mystery with lots of action, this is the book for you. I highly recommend it and I doubt you will be disappointed. I know I will anxiously await the next installment to see what mischief Gideon will get himself into next.
   I received an ARC from Hachette Book Group through book blogs. I want to thank them for the opportunity to read and review this book for them. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own. I am required to disclose this through the Federal Trade Commissions Regulations.

I give Gideon's Sword 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment