"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Soldier


The Soldier
Grace Burrows
Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN 9781402245671

   Devlin St. Just is the illegitimate son of the Duke of Moreland. He arrives at his new estate, battered physically, as well as, emotionally. To make matters worse, the estate is no better off then he is. While working on the estate, St. Just discovers the previous owners illegitimate daughter is there, and has now become the responsibility of St. Just. He manages to connive Winnie's cousin to act as temporary governess to the girl; but he discovers she can nurture him as well.
   Devlin's broken spirit calls to Emmie; but she has secrets of her own that she is hiding. Devlin is determined to find out the truth and capture Emmie in the process. Will the three of them be able to find love and happiness together? Will the brokenness draw them together or further apart?
   This is the second book in the Duke's Obsession Series. I have not had the pleasure of reading the first book; but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It is a heart warming story of love and devotion. It is a witty, sensitive read full of seduction and romance. All three of the main characters are consumed with pain and heartache. All are suffering from pasts that have brought them to a place where their lives are full of desperation and need. Once I started reading this book, I was hard pressed to put it down. If you are fond of historical romance, I highly recommend this book.
   I wish to thank Sourcebooks for providing me with an ARC for reading and reviewing purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own. I was not compensated in any way except for receiving the book to read and review.

I give The Soldier 4 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Great review, and I am definitely interested in reading this book. I love characters who are wounded or who need some kind of redemption, so this book sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allison. It was a very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eva! I've read and reviewed this book also. My review post Thursday (I think) I've also read the first book in the series and I highly recommend it! I'm looking forward to the third book. I think it's coming out in the fall!

    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb,
    Thanks for stopping by. If I ever get caught up, I will check ouy the first book.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete