"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Friday, November 11, 2011

Review of Expectations of Happiness


Expectations of Happiness
Rebecca Ann Collins
Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN 9781402253898

   The Dashwood sisters are all grown up, Marianne is married on the rebound to a much older man. Elinor and Edward Ferrars are a quiet, unassuming couple with two young boys. Margaret is the unconventional young woman who has a tremendous desire for learning and travel.
   Marianne is not an overly happy woman who is easily swayed. Her former lover comes to town and puts her life in a bit of a tail spin. Elinor is a worrisome someone and a bit of a busy body who thinks she has to help solve the entire families' problems. Margaret, dear Margaret, is a hand full to be sure. She is shy, but holds her own in any situation. She defies convention when she becomes involved in a love affair with a scholar she meets while traveling.
   For you Jane Austen fans, this is the book for you. This is a companion volume to Jane's Sense and Sensibility. In this book, the Dashwood sisters are all grown up and involved in three very different lives and loves. The storyline was okay; but I found it a bit choppy at times. I had some difficulty in staying on target with my reading. Since I am not an Austen fan, this could have been some of my problem; but I have read some other versions that I have enjoyed. The sisters are quite the trio. Marianne is a piece of work. She is very easily swayed and is so gullible. I was not endeared to her at all. Elinor tries to shoulder responsibility for everyone even though they are all grown up. Margaret is my heroine in the story. She is the only one of the sisters with any backbone and is not afraid to go after what she wants. She defies convention at every turn. A most lovable character. All in all, this was not a bad read. I would not, however, place it on one of my top reads.
   I wish to thank Sourcebooks for providing me with a copy for reading and reviewing purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. I was not compensated in anyway except for receiving the book to review.

I give Expectations of Happiness 3 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I fell head over heels in love with Colonel Brandon and want to think he and Marianne were happy together, because he was so devoted to her and I want him to be happy. :) So I think I'll skip this book, although Margaret's story line does sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog Tristi. I am finding I need to stay away from the Jane Austen remakes. They just don't do anything for me.

    ReplyDelete