"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Monday, January 23, 2012

Review of The Mirrors of Fate

The Mirrors of Fate: Out of the Past
 
The Mirrors of Fate
Out of the Past
Book1
Cindi Lee
Smashwords Edition 2011
 
   Maria was adopted into an Indian family at the age of six. She had a tough life growing up and suffered at the hands of both father and mother, physical and mental abuse. Her father is the true authority figure in the family and set a course for an arranged marriage of Maria when she turns twenty. Maria is a determined young woman and wants no part of the arrangement and does all in her power to try to leave home.
   Maria is a loner and only associates with two girls at school who only act like her friend on the surface. A handsome young man enters the school year mid stream and sets his sights on Maria. She is most assuredly flattered; but Alan is intent on evil purposes. Alan is most definitely not who he appears to be and the powers of darkness will intervene.
   This is a YA paranormal read with the dark arts introduced. I was quite impressed with this book and was pulled in early on despite the rather lengthy prologue that had me a bit confused. As the story progresses, the meaning of the prologue becomes clearer. Once I started the meat of the story, I could not stop until I was finished. In fact, I read it in one sitting. Maria has had a horrible life with her adopted family; but she has managed to grow up to be a fairly independent young woman, although a bit shy and awkward. She sets her sights on something and is determined to set a course. Her judgment is poor though and she gets sucked in with Alan's sweet words and caring ways. I guess if you never get kind words at home, you take them where you can. Alan is out for revenge; but finds he cares for Maria more then he should. This adds a bit of a twist to the story. The storyline is well written and flows nicely. I am not so sure the crime Maria is charged with deserves the punishment she is supposed to get; but then again the story takes on an interesting twist at the end. I will definitely like to see what happens in the next installment. If you are into YA paranormal reads, I am sure you will enjoy this one.
   I wish to thank the author for providing me with a copy for reading and reviewing purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. I was not compensated in anyway except for receiving the book to review.
 
I give The Mirrors of Fate 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment