"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Monday, July 16, 2012

Review of The Scottish Prisoner


The Scottish Prisoner
Diana Gabaldon
Delacorte Press 2011
ISBN 9780385337519

   The year is 1760 and Jamie Fraser, paroled prisoner-of-war is living in the Lake District thanks to Lord John Grey. He is satisfied with his life. He works with the horses and he is close enough to his son that he can't claim. Sadly, his life is starting to unravel. He is having increasing dreams of his lost wife and Tobias Quinn, a friend of Jamie's from the Rising has made an appearance.
   Lord John has come into possession of some documents that exposes corruption in the ranks. Part of the document is in "Erse," the tongue favored by the Scottish Highlanders. Lord John thinks that Jamie may be able to translate; but will he? Lord John and Jamie separated on not so friendly terms on their last meeting. Lord John and Jamie find themselves unwilling partners on the road to Ireland in hopes of discovering the truth.
   I have had my copy of The Scottish Prisoner for some months. I finally decided my pressing review pile would have to wait a couple of days until I read this one. Anyone who is a Diana Gabaldon follower can understand where I am coming from. This book is from the Lord John Grey series, and even though they are actually part of the Outlander series, they focus on the times when Lord John is not seen in the main series. This particular novel also focuses on a part of Jamie's life not covered in the main novels. These novels take place between 1756 and 1766. This one is set in 1760. This is my absolute favorite Lord John novel. That is probably because Jamie Fraser is so centered in this book. 
    I don't think there is anything I can possibly say about this book that has not been said about any of Diana Gabaldon's books before. The stories are just absolutely fantastic and the characters are wonderful. I think I can speak for any of Diana's fans when I say that her books are gripping and few put them down until they are finished. The accuracy of the history and the characters is beyond belief. If you have never read one of Diana's books, you are missing out on some wonderful reading. The worst part is I have to wait for another year until the next book in the overall series comes out. If you are into historical fiction, you absolutely cannot go wrong with any of Diana's books. Just be sure you are up for a good long read. 

I give The Scottish Prisoner 5 out of 5 stars 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment