"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Monday, April 2, 2012

Guest Post with Roger Hays from Poseidon's Children and a Review of the Book


United States of America
Department of Homeland Security
Evidence #1169

What follows is the transcription of a handwritten note from Roger Hays, discovered in the Black Harbor hotel room registered in his name, and written on hotel stationary.  The letter is dated prior to the Colonial Bay incident, and the handwriting has since been authenticated. 

My name is Roger Hays.  Most of you will know me as the founder and CEO of the Hays Corporation, one of the largest and most powerful companies in America; a successful businessman and investor, a philanthropist who has given millions of his own fortune in support of various foundations and charitable causes.  And, while I am not a particularly religious man, my enemies can most certainly attest to the fact that I am a firm believer in Old Testament-style justice; an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and a life for a life.   Put simply: if you cross me…if you injure me or my family in any way…if you take what’s mine, there will be Hell to pay, and you will pay in full.

Earlier this week, my only son, David, was brutally murdered on the island town of Colonial Bay, New Hampshire.  Oh, I know what was reported in the news.  They claimed his death to be a terrible tragedy, the result of a shark attack, a force of nature, but I never believed it.  Not for a moment.  At first, I thought the murder had been committed by one of my rivals, to send me a message, but  last night…last night I learned the horrible truth.   Last night, I came face to face with my son’s killer, and as insane as it sounds, it wasn’t human. 

It was a monster. 

This thing, this freak, has taken my precious son from me.  It’s stolen what’s mine.  And it is not alone.  Oh no.  There are hundreds of them, and they’ve been here for a very long time. 

But all of that is about to change.  As I write this, the wheels are already in motion.  My men are on their way.  They will be well armed, and I will make certain that they are well motivated.  Tonight, they will help me to destroy these creatures…these…abominations.  I don’t know how this all will end, but one thing is certain: people will remember the name Roger Hays;  they will remember what we do here in Colonial Bay, and no matter what, after tonight, the world will never be the same.




Poseidon's Children
Michael West
Seventh Star Press 2012
ISBN 9781937929978

Poseidon’s Children

   Ruins of a lost civilization are found on the ocean floor. Shortly thereafter, the coast guard finds ships apparently left abandoned splattered in blood., with their crew and passengers assumed dead. 
   Larry Neuhaus is an artist who is on vacation with his lover. The hope is that Larry will get back to his painting once again. He is recovering from a mental breakdown after his former lover killed herself. Larry blames himself. One night while standing on his balcony, he thinks he sees a woman attacked by a shark. Is it his mind playing tricks on him or is it the real deal? It turns out she is not alone. Her young lover turns up dead also and is none other the son of Roger Hays. Roger is hell bent on finding the killer of his son and will stop at nothing until he exacts his revenge. He just may open a Pandora's Box in the process.
   Larry and his new friends must join forces to unravel a mystery and fight a battle that is as old as time.   This is the first book in the urban fantasy series, Legacy of the Gods. It is a phenomenal read that had me riveted from the start. It is a mixture of horror, fantasy and myth that takes you on a roller coaster ride from the depths of the ocean to above the ground. The story is extremely well developed and takes you smoothly from one scene to the next. The description of the characters is so well defined that you can see them in your mind while you are reading about them. I find this to be a rare talent. Most authors are descriptive; but not all can paint an actual picture of what you should see. I am a cover person and I love this one. It is right on with the story. I also have to mention that the book contains a couple of pictures that absolutely make the story. My only complaint is the book ended and now I have to wait for the next one to be published. If you are into a good fantasy read with some touches of horror, you will love this book. If you are just looking for a good read, I highly recommend this one.
   I wish to thank Seventh Star Press for providing me with a copy for reading and reviewing purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. I was not compensated in anyway except for receiving the book to review.

I give Poseidon's Children 5 out of 5 stars 



2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you liked this. I watched the trailer and was hooked. Now I have got to read it. i love scary good reads!! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura and thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete