"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review of Ethos Morning Star


Ethos Book 1
Morning Star
Desiree Finkbeiner
Hydra Publications June 2012
ISBN 9780615638638

I started doing something different when a book trailer catches my eye and really gives you a synopsis of the book. This one fits the book perfectly, so rather then write it, you can watch it.



Below are some of the pictures from the print version of the book. I am seriously considering buying a print copy of the book. I loved this book and can't wait to read the second one. If I can get a signed copy from the author, I just might do that. 



   This is the first book in the Ethos series; a YA urban/paranormal read that is excellent for any age group. I got caught up in this story from the beginning, and the further along I read, the more I enjoyed it. I had trouble putting it down and the only reason I did was because life just got in the way.
 I have gotten in the habit of reading reviews after I read a book, to see where they stand in relation to what I read. It is very interesting to do this. Sometimes, I wonder what book the person was reading and other times, I am in agreement with the reviewer. The ones that stand out the most are those who are obviously just spouting off for reasons known only to themselves. 
   I do find it interesting when a reviewer gives a review a low rating because they don't like a character. I say, okay! Do you not like a mystery because you don't like the murderer? Well, in this case, I didn't care for our female protagonist, Brianna. I found her sheltered and immature considering she was twenty-one years old. Did this make me not like the book.?Absolutely not! She did grow along the way and came out stronger on the other end. She had episodes of immature behavior throughout; but all in all she did a lot of changing. Kalen, our male protagonist, was an amazing guy. He had strong morals and was committed to his role in life. Eventually, love between him and Brianna wins over and changes the course of events. The story line is well written and flows smoothly throughout. Despite the fact the ending was a bit predictable, it made a wonderful lead in to the next installment. The dragonflies added a unique twist to the story that I absolutely loved. The author has such a way with words and her descriptions make you feel like you are in the gardens and can smell the fragrances all around you. The critters, as I call them, are also quite unique. I am not sure you want to run across one of them on a dark night. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the cover art. I find it absolutely gorgeous. 
   Well, I think you can tell I loved this book and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a great story, especially if you like fantasy reads. Try it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
   I wish to thank the author for providing a copy for reviewing purposes.

I give Morning Star 5 out of 5 stars












No comments:

Post a Comment