"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Monday, March 12, 2012

Interview With Editor Dennis DeRose

It is with a great deal of pleasure that I welcome my first editor interview with Dennis DeRose. If anyone has questions for Dennis, feel free to ask and I will make certain that Dennis sees them and answers for you.



1- Please tell the readers a little about yourself and how you came to be an editor.
 
My family and I live in Middletown New York., I’m a counselor in a New York state prison and I’m looking to retire this year. I became an editor just by being the type of person I am. I began by reviewing books for a wonderful lady in Kentucky. She liked my reviews so much that she asked me to edit every review submitted on her website; I agreed. While reading a book for review, I have a habit of recording events and errors that I find. I asked her to submit the errors I found to the writer. I did the same thing to his next book; he was so impressed that he asked me to edit his next manuscript. And I did and so it began and has continued for over two years, nonstop.

 2- Do you usually edit the same genre? If so, why?
 
I prefer to edit fiction because that’s what I like to read. I have edited a few nonfiction to date, but it’s not my preference.

3- Do you edit only hard copy books or do you also edit ebooks? Why or why not?
 
I will not edit a hardcopy manuscript. It takes too long and it would be too costly, besides most manuscripts are sent to editors in Word these days.

4- Do you have any special projects going at the moment? If so, what?
 
Right now I am editing a book(a romance) for a local writer. I have writers lined up waiting for me to finish this one. I'm also editing an anthology of short stories and poetry for a wonderful lady. She has graciously consented to include my only poem,”That`s Chuck, he`s my Friend,” and it's the first poem in the book. I'm really excited. I'm also editing a short story for a young boy, a future author extraordinaire.

5- Do you edit on a full time basis? What does a usual day's schedule look like?
 
I edit part-time only at present after I get home from work. I spend one or two hours doing that and take the rest the time to unwind, to get ready for another day. I expect to retire this year and intend to devote much more time to my newish editing career.

6- What is the average time it takes to edit a book?
 
I have edited a book in as short as two weeks; but it's not advisable. Please don't expect an editor to do that for you. It's a mistake. Most of my books take about a month. As the saying goes, the slow turtle wins the race.

7- What is the hardest part of your work as an editor?
 
When I know a writer could have done a better job but, for some reason, just hasn’t done so and I have to try to pick up the pieces. That becomes difficult and costly to the writer. More than once, I've been blamed for a writer's ineptitude. After all, it's not my book. I just try to make it better.

8- What is the most frustrating thing you`ve encountered as an editor?
 
The most frustrating thing I've encountered happened recently. I edited a book for a writer three times (I only charged him once). He said I did a great job. A year later he got back to me and told me he had to hire another editor and spend a lot more money. I asked him what the problem was, he refused to answer me. I feel cheated and that I've been taken advantage of. Perhaps I have; live and learn.

9- Who is your favorite author and why?
 
I have edited over 20 books but I really can’t say that I have a favorite one. I think all of my writers have done a super job and I hope that I have helped them, in some small way, to make their books better than they were before.

10-What's the best advice you could give to a new writer?
Please take your time. Don't rush; it doesn't pay. In fact, it will cost you more in the long run. I know, I've seen it happen many times. Send your book to your editor (hopefully me) only when you know you are absolutely ready and you have done everything possible to make your book shine. I'll do my absolute best to help it shine even more. After all, “We are not done until you're happy!” Remember, you and your editor should become a team. Work closely together and communicate as often as it takes. Again, the slow turtle wins the race.

MONEYSAVER EDITING
DDEROSE@HVC.RR.COM
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/author.asp?id=150139
"We're not done until you're happy!"

Thank you again for agreeing to stop by my blog today Dennis. 








4 comments:

  1. Eva, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You've done a super job; this looks great. Above all, may God bless. Please feel free to contact me with further questions any time. Call me if you like, my number is... 845-343-3810.

    Dennis DeRose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dennis and you are most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview and resource! Thanks for going outside the author interview and doing one 'behind the scenes'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dana. It was a lot of fun and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete