"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review of The Captive Heart


The Captive Heart
Dale Cramer
Bethany House 2012
ISBN 9780764208393

   This is the second year for the Bender family in Mexico. Life is not getting any easier for them and their growing Amish community. They are being ravaged by disease and preyed upon by ruthless and unfeeling bandits. No matter what happens, they are determined to live by their faith and remain true to their convictions.
   Miriam is almost past marrying age according to the Amish way. Her heart is taking her on a dangerous path. She has feelings for the native, Domingo. According to Domingo's sister, he is a gentle man and would do anything for the ones he loves. Is Miriam that someone?
   The native has shown he is a man of principle; but to love him would come at a tremendous price. Miriam would have to sacrifice all to be with him. Miriam has a continuing dream where she is dressed as a peasant, standing on a ridge, searching. She cannot quite figure out the dream until she is there. Is she searching for the one forbidden thing, Domingo?
   This is the second book in The Daughter's of Caleb Bender series that is based on actual events. This is a wonderful  story based on family values, love of God, tradition, and faith. Miriam has a strong faith and values her God and family above all else; but it is difficult when your heart is telling you something. Domingo is a man of high principles and will not willingly go into territory where he should not go. Only Miriam's sister, Rachel, knows her true feelings. The storyline flows smoothly from the beginning until the end where it leaves you wanting for more. I enjoyed this installment much more then the first and will be anxiously waiting to see what happens next. If you love Amish fiction or just like a good, clean story of faith and love, I highly recommend this book. It would be possible to read this one without having read the first; but I do suggest reading the first one Paradise Valley first. I don't think you will be disappointed.
   I wish to thank Bethany House for providing me with a copy to read and review. I was not required to write a positive review. I was not compensated in anyway except for receiving the book to review.

I give The Captive Heart 5 out of 5 stars 




5 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a good read. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Donna, thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do I contact you for a possible review of my book? My email is darlene@emandyves.com - website www.emandyves.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! My mother in law would love this book!!I'll have to buy it for her :)
    +new follower
    --Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly, thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete