"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Friday, March 23, 2012

Review of Redemption Day


Redemption Day
Steve O'Brien
A and N Publishing 2012
ISBN 9780982073520

   Nick James is fired from his contract job with the US government where he worked as a terrorism analyst. Within a span of twenty-four hours he becomes the most wanted man in America. Caught between the US government and  a terrorist group, he has no where to turn.
   A supreme court judge, Silvio Caprelli, is kidnapped during an attack on the Washington parkway. The investigators on the case, along with the media, suspect international terrorists; but no one comes forward right away to claim they are responsible. Then, all of a sudden, everyone is taking the credit. Nick suspects an anti-government group, Posse Comitatus, is holding the judge. Unfortunately, there is no proof.
   This is a fast paced government thriller that keeps you guessing from the beginning. It is based on an anti-government militia group from the 1980's which tried to convince farmers that the government could not foreclose on their property. The storyline moves along quickly, but is a bit choppy. There were several occasions where I was not certain where I was or who I was with. Our main character, Nick was not well developed in what his actual role was in the government. The part I found a bit unbelievable was that he goes from being fired, wanted, and captured to helping on the case. Not only that, he had a relationship with the attorney, Kate, on the task force. Then we have Wesley, an investigating officer, who fights tooth and nail against Nick and Kate and is constantly giving Javier problems. Overall, this is not a bad read and I would recommend it especially if you like fast paced thrillers. Just be prepared for mediocre character development.
   I wish to thank the Cadence Group for providing me a copy for reading and reviewing purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. I was not compensated in anyway except for receiving the book to review.

I give Redemption Day 3.5 out of 5 stars


4 comments:

  1. I like these kinds of tales..the mediocre character development is a disappointment..If I decide to read it, i think it will be a library read. As always I loved your thoughtful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kimba88 and thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete