"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Sir Richard Steele

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Twilight's Ashes


Twilight's Ashes
Auler Ivis
iUniverse Inc 2010
ISBN 9781450245494

   The story takes place in the year 635,039 AD and the world has descended into an ice age. Humans no longer rule on Earth and the population is low. In the chaos, a strange race of humans are bent on destroying the rest of the humans and taking control of the planet. A prophecy of the Seventh Shepherd is their only hope.
   Jebden Gale lives in an isolated village that is covered by the new ice sheet that has formed. He has the ability to communicate with a higher power; but he resents being able to do it. Can he possibly be the prophesied, Seventh Shepherd?
   Time is running out for the human race. The creatures are destroying the remaining humans. The higher powers are forging a partnership with those who remain in hopes of guiding their chosen one. Will Jeb be able to discover his destiny or will the human race be gone forever?
   The is the first book in the As Heaven Fades series. I have to say I was a bit blown away by the book. I was lost almost from the beginning. There are so many different characters with unusual similar sounding names and some of the language just threw me for a loop. I can't say much about the storyline because I was not following much of what was going on. Our main character, Jebden's mother is kidnapped, creatures attack their village and they have to go into hiding, bits of mythology comes into play, along with, modern day religion and I get further and further behind in the story. Then we have Leafhopper who is supposed to guide Jeb from the spirit world and Dalle, who is I assume like the mother of god. I am not even certain I have that correct. I can't even say for certain I am a good one to give my opinion on this book since I was so totally lost that I found myself skimming over parts of it. If you are into post-apocalyptic stories, I am sure you would be interested in this one. Unfortunately, it was too far off the charts for me.
   I received this book through Bohlsen PR for reading and reviewing purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. I was not compensated except for receiving the book to review.

I give Twilight's Ashes 2 out of 5 stars
   

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, yes. One of my issues as well. Names that sound the same or have similar spellings. I have put down books because of this.

    A nice, honest review, Eva.

    ~ Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenna. As always, thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete